Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A very non-school "first" day of school ;)

So, for some reason, we just did not get our act together this morning. The boys were all up by 8:30, but I think because my youngest was up not long after me, I was slow in doing what I normally like to do in the morning when they are all sleeping (play on-line on my favorite bulletin boards, read up on Facebook, and eventually making it to the couch to read a real book), that I didn't get going with them when they were first getting up. I don't know ... maybe the stars were just not aligned quite right. I was hoping to have my oldest (I so need nicknames for them all ... I think I'll name them after baseball players or Star Wars characters!) actually get through all his core subjects before PE (minus spelling - we don't do spelling on Wednesdays as we just don't have the time before we have to leave). As it is, no one got much of anything done. 

On a positive note, we did read through Minimus chapter 1 again this morning. The boys want to just keep reading the book, but I'm trying to go slowly just because I need to learn the vocabulary as we read. We also listened to the Salve/Vale song from Song School Latin on the way to PE. I had them "help" me remember all the Latin words I know so far (great way to actually see how much they remember without them feeling "tested") and we realized that combined, "I" know about 15 words in Latin so far. 

PE went well. I chatted a bit with a couple other moms I know; one will be involved with our once a month art coop and one have only met through PE. But, afterwards, I realized I need to help my boys navigate "free play" with the other kids - otherwise it turns a bit into Lord of the Flies out there. I think that maybe as hs'ing parents, we think our kids are able to figure out how to play in a fun, yet nice and safe way, without a lot of intervention. But, I learned today that I need to teach mine the difference between play "fighting" and actual fighting - that it crosses the line when stick "swords" actually make contact with another body and pinecone "bombs" actually injure someone. I also realized mine did not yet really know how to handle older kids who are playing too rough (apparently my oldest threw a pinecone at an older boy who was playing harshly with them all ... we talked about what to do in that situation that does not involve bodily harm). 

So, I can't say we didn't learn anything today. We just didn't get done much of what I wanted to get done. This evening/tonight I plan on having the older two practice their reading - it's been too many days and they get very rusty. I also hope to read some more from the Burgess Bird Book and What Makes a Bird. We might throw in there a little of Our Island Story. As for the rest, there's always tomorrow. ;)  

Edited to add their new nicknames. :) My oldest is Nomar (he loves Nomar Garciaparra, formerly of the Dodgers and now with the A's). My middle son is Vlad (he loves Vladimir Guerrero of the Angels), and the youngest decided he wanted to be Luke Skywalker. :) 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like your day ended up being pretty productive even if you didn't get off to a very productive start. Isn't it funny how little boys can make anything into a weapon?

    BTW ... I love your kids' new nicknames! My son would totally want to be Luke Skywalker, too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe @ Luke Skywalker, I love it. I keep reading on the MDC board about Minimus and Latin and I'm getting really intrigued. I'm going to have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And of course, in a schoolyard setting, children would be figuring all that out WITHOUT parental guidance or intervention. Lord of the Flies, no kidding! The teacher/monitors can only see so much at once, and while they'll break up fights and rule-breaking, they don't do as much in terms of actually teaching polite behaviour, social skills, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to hearing about Minimus and Song School Latin! You know I have those all lined up for the future...

    Tomorrow my Latin book for me arrives so I can learn this fall before I try to teach it. :) Also, my Burgess Bird Book arrives! We have dozens of birds visiting us everyday, can't wait to learn more about them.

    ReplyDelete